Tinnerman Steel Range Co., Cleveland, OH
The Tinnerman Steel Range Co. was instrumental in the development and transition from cast iron stoves to steel ranges. The former factory building where steel ranges were manufactured was also home to the 1923 invention and manufacture of the speednut, a locking nut that revolutionized assembly of metal parts for the automobile, shipping, railroad, aircraft and military industries and is still in use today. Historic Preservation Group documented the building’s historic significance in an individual nomination and wrote the federal and state historic tax credit applications for the rehabilitation and conversion of the building to market-rate housing. The $18.3 MM project generated $3.29 MM in federal credits and was awarded $1.7 MM in state credits.